Perform the following:
- Take a full backup on your current Appliance
- Download the backup tar.bz2 file to the desktop
- Install the same version of the Virtual SMG in the ESXi or Hyper-V
- Perform the initial configuration tasks on the new virtual SMG
- Restore the backup file with the option "Upload a backup file from your local computer" in the Control Center
- Reboot the virtual SMG and confirm all core services are running under Status - Hosts - Software and Services
- Confirm in the new virtual SMG that the settings are the same as in your original Appliance. And if some should be missing, update them.
- When completed an upgrade to the latest version 10.x using the command "update install" from the command line interface may be done if desired.
- Confirm the upgrade completed successfully.
- Update your MX records to point to the new virtual SMG hostname and IP address unless the details are the same.
Be aware that some settings are not preserved in a full backup and would need to be moved over seperately.
Messaging Gateway message audit logs are not included in a Full Backup
Settings that are preserved when restoring from backup Messaging Gateway
Symantec Messaging Gateway 10.x