NOTE: Read the version-specific release notes. Prior to upgrading go to the Messaging Gateway Technical Support landing page and search for Release Notes for your specific product version. The Release Notes have specific information and upgrade steps for each release that may differ from the information provided here.
Preparing for the Upgrade
- Reducing Control Center data before the upgrade (The upgrade process might be lengthy if you have large data sources in the Control Center)
- Reduce messages in the spam quarantine (Spam -> Quarantine Settings)
- Reduce messages in the Content Incident folders (Content -> Content Incident Folders) Edit settings for each Quarantine folder
- Reduce reports data storage (Administration -> Reports) by clicking "Delete Data Now".
- Reduce operational Logs (Administration -> Logs) to Warning.
- It is recommended to clear as much data as you can before upgrading to make the process smoother as well as reducing the backup size before the upgrade
To make a backup of the current version:
(Symantec recommends backing up the current version when moving to any new release before proceeding with the upgrade)
- Login to the Control Center
- Navigate to Administration -> Version
- Click Backup Now
- Select Full Backup
- Select Store backup on the server
- Click Backup Now
- Once the backup is complete, go to Administration -> Version -> Restore/Download
- Select Restore/Download backup from the server
- Click Download and save the backup on the workstation
(NOTE: Backups can only be restored back to the same version. eg: If you made a backup of a Symantec Messaging Gateway running version 10.6.4-3, you must be using 10.6.4-3 to restore the backup. Make sure you have the ISO available with the current version in the event that you need to rollback)
Prepare for Rollback
In the event of a failed upgrade, we recommend having on hand:
This allows you to OS Restore to the previous version, restore the backup, and getting back up as quickly as possible.
Performing the upgrade
- Download the latest updates from the Control Center
- Navigate to Administration -> Version -> Updates -> Select the host from the drop-down ->Select the version -> Download Only
- Configure the Symantec Messaging Gateway Scanner(s) to NOT accept incoming mail:
- Navigate to Administration -> Configuration Click the name of a scanner
- Click “Do not accept incoming messages”
- Click SAVE
- Ensure that all deliverable mail has been cleared from the Delivery queue.
- Navigate to Status -> Message Queues
- On the right-hand side: Change the queue to “Delivery”, list to “All” and click Display Filtered
- Start the upgrade
- Navigate to Administration -> Version -> Updates -> Select the host from the drop-down -> Select the version -> Click Install
- Wait until the upgrade finishes and the appliance reboots
- After updating the Control Center, repeat steps 1 through 5 for each Scanner.