In general, this task should work successfully. However, a few areas of note should be evaluated to ensure that the user understands the purpose of this task and how it functions. If this fails to work, several areas to troubleshoot are also provided.
Usage Note: The Update Organizational Hierarchy task only updates Organizational Views and Groups with group and asset changes. It does not assign locations to computers, which is controlled by the Update Network Resource Location task. This task should be ran at least 30 minutes before the Update Organizational Hierarchy task is ran to ensure that Organizational Views and Groups are updated.
About the Update Organizational Hierarchies task
The CMDB task "Update Organizational Hierarchies" is designed to add or update CMDB Solution groups and their contents to the Organizational Views and Groups page. For example, Assets by Location and Contracts by Location are CMDB Solution groups controlled by this task. This task does not update Core areas that are generally populated by the Microsoft Active Director Import, such as Default. For more information about using this task, refer to the following article:
How to automatically update organizational hierarchy groups
Troubleshooting and best practices
- This task performs the same job as Settings > All Settings > Service and Asset Management > CMDB Solution > Organizational Hierarchy Settings, which by default runs every 30 seconds up to to a maximum of 300 seconds (5 minutes). If this is enabled, and it is by default, any organizational change should be able to be seen in Organizational Views and Groups within 5 minutes (and also the page should be refreshed if the user remains on this as it will not automatically update until refreshed).
- Any changes to groups or assets must wait for the task or settings to update Organizational Views and Groups, and then the user must refresh the page, to see any new or changed data.
- If there are hundreds of organizational groups, such as hundreds of locations, the user should disable the settings version of this job from running and only run the task version, as 30 seconds is too short of a time to realistically update that many groups.
- This task is automatically scheduled to run at 2 AM daily. but without any groups to update. Ensure that these are added in the Default Task Parameters otherwise this task will have no effect when ran.
- After making organizational changes, these will not be updated until 2 AM the next day, and only for those selected in the task to update.
- If a group is linked to itself, this will result in it and any assets not appearing in Organizational Views and Groups. For example, a location has itself set as its Location Hierarchy. Likewise, if another group is linked to the group that is linked to itself, it too will no longer appear. This is not supported; remove or change this to be a sub-group instead. If this occurs, edit the group and remove the link to itself. Run the following SQL script in the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio to list all locations that are affected by this:
SELECT vl.Name 'The Location', vi.Name 'Is Incorrectly Linked To Itself'
FROM vLocation vl
JOIN ResourceAssociation ra
ON ra.ParentResourceGuid = vl._ResourceGuid
AND ResourceAssociationTypeGuid = 'DC4689D9-1D2D-47CC-BF65-FD9437D08ED5'
AND ParentResourceGuid = ChildResourceGuid
JOIN vItem vi
ON vi.Guid = ra.ChildResourceGuid
ORDER BY 1
- In older versions of CMDB Solution, a defect caused the task to appear twice and not work. Information about this can be found here:
The CMDB Solution task "Update Organizational Hierarchy' task appears twice after upgrading to CMDB Solution 7.1 SP2
How to use the CMDB task Update Network Resource Location to automatically assign locations to computers based on the computer's subnet