- Remove older ADK's from the system by running the older ADK setup file(s) manually or through add/remove programs
- The following table shows the supported versions of WinPE for Deployment Solution (for more details on Deployment Solution Support Matrix, please check here):
This section outlines the Windows 11 Pre-installation Environment (WinPE) versions supported in Deployment Solution 8.5 RU4 and 8.6 RU1.
Windows 10 Pre-installation Environment (WinPE)
WinPE 11 version
Deployment Solution version
8.5 RU4, 8.6 RU1
- Download the appropriate ADK for the version of Deployment Solution being used:
- 8.5 RU4 / 8.6 RU1: click here to download Windows 11 build of the ADK. With build WinPE10 1809 and after, Microsoft split the Windows PE tools out of the ADK. After the ADK is installed, click here to download the Windows PE ADK add on and install it (use default settings).
- Run the ADK setup file and install to the default location on your SMP (Default Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\), then click Next.
- Select 'Yes' or 'No' to the Windows Kits Privacy page and click Next.
- Accept the license agreement
- On the 'Select the features you want to install' page check only 'Deployment tools' and 'Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE)' NOTE: ADK 1809 and later select 'Deployment Tools'. 'Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE)' is a separate download. See step 8.
- Click 'Install'
- Open the NS console and navigate to ‘Settings > All settings > Deployment > Preboot Configurations’
- Click on the ‘Change WinPE’ drop down and select ‘WinPE 11.0’
- The Win11 ADK import screen is shown. If not, go to step #12 and modify the 'prebootos.ini' file. The hyperlink under #1 will not be selectable because the WAIK has already been installed.
- Verify that the link 'Click here to import Windows ADK' is viewable and clickable. If it is not AND you have installed the appropriate ADK listed above, do the following:
- Navigate to “<drive>:\Program Files\Altiris\Deployment\BDC\bootwiz” and open ‘prebootos.ini’.
- Modify the bolded lines to false. Save the file.
- Repeat step #8-11
- Click on 'Click here to import Windows ADK' to start the ADK import process.
- Allow the ‘BDC’ package to update on all Package Servers
- Create/Recreate PXE preboots and/or automation folders with the new win10 ADK.
To install newer versions of the ADK to versions of DS that do not support it in the UI (the 'Click here to import Windows ADK' is not available) do this:
- Install the ADK as noted in steps #1-7 above
- Go to '<drive>:\Program Files\Altiris\Deployment\BDC\bootwiz'
- Click on 'Bootwiz.exe'
- Click on 'Cancel' on the welcome box
- Click on 'Tools > Import Preboot Operating System Files'
- Select 'WinPE 11 x86' and select the 'pre-installed WAIK' radio button
- Browse to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\'
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 for WinPE11 x64
Note: If there is a 'check mark' next to the preboot OS in bootwiz modify the 'prebootos.ini' as noted in Step #11 above.