data_engine runs in to error "Timeout occurred or communication error.(-1)" after migrating database

book

Article ID: 207687

calendar_today

Updated On:

Products

DX Infrastructure Management

Issue/Introduction

After migrating the UIM database from old SQL server 2016 to new SQL server 2016, when we open the data_engine it times out and test connection we see the error:

"Timeout occurred or communication error.(-1)"

 

Cause

The following error was observed in the database engine log:

Feb  2 13:33:16:811 [4604] 0 de: (1) Open [Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server] [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (SECDoClientHandshake()).]SSL Security error. 
Feb  2 13:33:16:811 [4604] 0 de: COM Error [0x80004005] Unspecified error - [Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server] [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (SECDoClientHandshake()).]SSL Security error.


When we test the connection from data_engine probe GUI, we see the following error:

"Timeout occured or communication error.(-1)"

 

Environment

UIM Release : 9.0.2 or higher

Component : UIM - DATA_ENGINE

 

Resolution

We resolved by the following steps:

1) Open the data_engine probe's Configure GUI. The probe will fail to connect to the database (this is expected). Select the Ignore button in order to open the probe's Configure GUI.

2) Select the Database tab, verify:

-> Provider to SQLNCLI11
-> Initial Catalog is set correctly, in this case it was the default CA_UIM

-> Data Source is set to Database Hostname (or IP Address), port number
-> User ID is set to the correct username
-> Password is set correct
-> Parameters is set as Network Library=dbmssocn;Language=us_english

Note: You would need to add the parameter Integrated Security=SSPI when using Windows Authentication along with TLS 1.2 for database connection, refer the link in Additional Information for more information

3) Click on Apply and OK

4) Important: Deactivate the data_engine probe

5) Wait till it deactivates completely

6) Activate the data_engine probe again

 

Now, verify the data_engine probe GUI opens without failure message and the Database Test Connection works fine:

 

 

As an additional step, restart the Hub to verify the data_engine probe and any other probes dependent on data_engine starts running fine

 

Additional Information

If the above steps do not resolve the issue, it would be worth verifying on the:

 

New Database Server:

-> Database Server is up and running

-> Database Server is listening on the correct port number (use the netstat command to verify this)

 

UIM Primary Server:

-> the communication between UIM Server and the Database Server is fine

-> you should be able to successfully telnet from UIM Server to the Database Server on the database port 

-> the data_engine probe GUI has the correct values loaded:

 

Please refer the following documents for further reading:

UIM database migration (broadcom.com)

UIM data_engine probe failed when changing to TLS 1.2 and using windows authentication (broadcom.com)

 

Attachments