Imaging a hard drive usually requires that the computer is booted to an "Automation Preboot Environment" rather than the "Production" Windows that you are trying to image. Windows PE 10 is a suitable Automation Preboot operating system for almost every circumstance. (No matter what OS you have installed Ghost on, or you intend to deploy, the Windows 10 ADK is suitable unless your machine is too old to boot to Windows 10). This tutorial will show you how to import a Windows Preboot Operating system into Ghost Solution Suite 3.x.
Please note that this is for Ghost Solution Suite console installation. If you are using Ghost Standard Tools, the instructions are in another article, www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO124712.
1. Download the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit. You need the latest supported version per the product release notes:
Preferred: Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) for Windows 10, version 1803 (WinPE10, Windows 10)
***note Windows 10 ADK build 1809 has been split by Microsoft into 2 files, both files will need to be downloaded and installed for it to work this includes:
Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) for Windows 8.1 Update. (WinPE 5.1, Windows 8.1)
Install as directed to the default path. When asked for features to install, these are the only two that need to be checked:
2. Launch the Ghost Solution Suite Console. In the console, click on Tools > Boot Disk Creator.
3. In the Boot Disk Creator, if you do not already have a Preboot environment installed, you will see "Step 1 of 2: Pre-boot Operating System Files". Select "WinPE 10 x64" (If you do not see this Wizard, click Tools - Install Pre-Boot Operating Systems.)
4. Click the radio button for "Pre-installed ADK", then browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits. Click Next.
5. It will take a couple of minutes to completely import this. After it completes, you will see a screen that says "Step 2 of 2: Install Complete". Click Finish.
6. A pop-up will then appear. Click Cancel.
If you intend to use any 32- bit machines follow these steps to import the 32 bit Windows PE.
7. Click Tools > Install Pre-Boot Operating Systems.
8. Select "WinPE 10 x86". Click the radio button for "Pre-installed ADK", then browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits. Click Next.
9. As with the WinPE 10 64 import, this too will take a couple of minutes. When it completes, click Finish.
Ghost now has the default WinPE 10 preboot operating systems installed.