When attempting to install the Symantec Endpoint Encryption Management Server/Console version 11.1.1 or above, you receive an error message that one of the SQL Server feature packs are required in order to complete the installation.
It can be difficult to locate the appropriate files that need to be installed before the installation of Endpoint Encryption can proceed. This article will serve as a step by step process to download the necessary files.
After running the "Server suite" .msi, you may receive one of the following error messages before the installer will load:
"SQL Server System CLR Types is required in order to install this software."
"Microsoft SQL Server Management Objects is required in order to install this software"
Starting with Symantec Endpoint Encryption version 11.1.1, the "SQL Server System CLR Types" and the "SQL Server Management Objects" feature packs are needed to install the Endpoint Encryption Management Server/Console. Depending on your environment, these may already be installed. You will receive this warning if they are not installed.
Install the 32-bit SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 Feature Packs for "SQL Server System CLR Types" and "SQL Server Shared Management Objects."
Process for installing the SQL Server System CLR Types and Management Objects feature packs:
2. Select the appropriate language and click "Download"
3. This will bring up another screen that will allow you to choose the files that you want to download.
4. Scroll down until you find "1033\x86\SharedManagementObjects.msi" and place a check in the box. Make sure it says x86
5. Continue to scroll down until you find "1033\x86\SQLSysClrTypes.msi" and place a check in the box. Again, make sure it says x86
6. Once both files are selected, the "Download Summary:" should appear as below:
7. Click Next to download the files
8. Install CLR Types first, then Management Objects
After installing the required SQL Server feature packs using the above steps, installation of the Symantec Endpoint Encryption Server Suite should proceed successfully.