How to uninstall Symantec Endpoint Encryption (SEE) if it was deployed through a Group Policy Object (GPO)
Article ID: 151420
How can SEE be uninstalled if deployed through a GPO?
There are a couple of ways this can be accomplished:
- The installation policy must be removed from the computer. This will prevent an automatic reinstallation of the policy.
- If there is a policy in place that forces the drive to stay encrypted, this will need to be removed.
- A Client Admin can login and decrypt the drive.
- Once the drive is decrypted, the software can be removed through Add/Remove Programs.
- Create an Organization Unit (OU) which will contain the computers that need to have SEE removed.
- Within that OU, create a policy to decrypt the machine.
- Create a policy to remove the software that will run once it's decrypted. If the computer is given enough time, it will decrypt and remove the software on its own.
- If instructions are needed for removing a package via GPO, please see the "Remove a Package" heading in the following Microsoft knowledge base article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816102.