When trying to run LiveUpdate on the Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) client or Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEPM), either scheduled or manually, the process appears to hang and then time out.
LiveUpdate reports error LU1803.
In the Windows Event Log, the following item is documented:
Event ID 10005
DCOM got error "The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. " attempting to start the service LiveUpdate with arguments "" in order to run the server:
Event ID 7009
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the LiveUpdate service to connect.
Event ID 7000
The LiveUpdate service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
The following are possible causes:
Please see the corresponding workaround/solution for each of these in the following section.
1. Update the Root Certificates for Windows - see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931125.
2. Verify DCOM is configured correctly according to the "Checking DCOM Permissions" section in this document: www.symantec.com/docs/TECH100048
3. SYSTEM Account must be configured correctly within DCOM (see above link) AND have full permissions to the following folders:
<System Drive>:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared, \Program Files (86)\Common Files\ or \ProgramData\Symantec Shared and all subfolders
<System Drive>:\Program Files\Symantec, \Program Files (x86)\Symantec or \ProgramData\Symantec and all subfolders
<System Drive>:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec and all subfolders
4. Uninstall and reinstall LiveUpdate. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH102609
5. Run repair install of SEP client via Add or Remove programs.
6. Increase the service timeout period for the Service Control Manager. See the following Microsoft article: technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd349403(WS.10).aspx
Any supported Windows Operating System.