Best practices for upgrading Symantec Messaging Gateway (SMG) appliances to the latest software version are needed.
Prior to upgrading go to the Messaging Gateway Technical Support landing page and search for Release Notes for your specific product version.
Preparing for the Upgrade
To make a backup of the current version:
(Symantec recommends backing up the current version when moving to any new release before proceeding with the upgrade)
(NOTE: Backups can only be restored back to the same version. eg: If you made a backup of a Symantec Messaging Gateway running version 10.6.4-3, you must be using 10.6.4-3 to restore the backup. Make sure you have the ISO available with the current version in the event that you need to rollback)
Prepare for Rollback
In the event of a failed upgrade, we recommend having on hand:
This allows you to OS Restore to the previous version, restore the backup and getting back up as quickly as possible.
Performing the upgrade
NOTE: For determining whether to update the Control Center or Scanners first, please see the Release notes or Software Update notes for the version you are updating to. These can be acquired by clicking the "View Description" button on the Updates page of the Symantec Messaging Gateway user interface, or going to the following link and searching for "release notes <version>": https://support.symantec.com/content/unifiedweb/en_US/messaging-gateway.html
1. Download the latest updates from the Control Center
2. Configure the Symantec Messaging Gateway Scanner(s) to NOT accept incoming mail:
4. Start the upgrade
5. Wait until the upgrade finishes and the appliance reboots then go to step 6.
6. Configure the Scanner(s) to accept and deliver mail normally
7. Test mail delivery and spam detection.
8. Repeat steps 1 through 7 for each Scanner then proceed with the Control Center update