Control Compliance Suite Vulnerability Manager (version 12.4.x and 12.6.x) is giving an error when trying to open either Assets or Analytics Reporting in the CCS-VM console.
Database Connection Error:
Possible Causes: The database server may be unavailable, the specified connection details may be incorrect, or if the connection is using Windows Authentication the IIS AppPool identity may not have the required rights on the database server.
Microsoft .NET package pushed in the July 2018 timeframe caused .NET temporary files to be loaded in error on calls to certain processes. Incorrect settings were loaded causing the database connection error. Cleaning out of these temporary .NET files fixes this issue.
CCS-VM 12.4.x and 12.6.x. July 2018 Microsoft .NET patches applied.
1) On the CCS-VM console machine, while logged in with a local admin or the service account, navigate to the <install path>\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec CCS-VM\REMEMConfig.exe and launch this utility. Click the "Stop Services" link on the right hand panel of the utility.
2) Open a command prompt AS ADMINISTRATOR and run the command: iisreset /stop
3) Delete the contents inside of the following 4 directories including any subfolders. (NOTE: new temp files will be created in their place after services are restarted)
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files.
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files.
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files.
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files.
4) Navigate back to the REMEMConfig.exe utility screen and click "Start Services" on the right hand panel and then close the utility.
5) In the command prompt windows run the command: iisreset /start