Database server inventory Issue. NSEs for Server inventory Failing to process if the time format of SMP is set to a.m./p.m.
Updated On:30-04-2013 06:06
Inventory Pack for Servers
Server inventory fails to process with DateTime errors shown in the log.
This issue appears if the Windows Regional Settings of the Symantec Management Platform (SMP) is initially set to English (NZ), and time format set to a.m./p.m.
NOTE: This issue may also occur in other regions with time format set to a.m./p.m.
Following errors are shown in the Altiris Log Viewer:
1. SetColumn: Couldn't set [lastUpdate] to (8/04/2003 9:13:36 a.m.).
2. Failed to load inventory. [Failed to commit fast insert in class]
3. Failed to process NSE.
The details of the above error messages has the same cause. That is,
[Failed to commit fast insert in class : 38473c2c-2605-45dc-977b-bab0fe1a0e64 Database Please check the data in that class for invalid entries.] ---> Altiris.NS.Exceptions.AeXException: Failed to commit fast insert in class : 38473c2c-2605-45dc-977b-bab0fe1a0e64 Database Please check the data in that class for invalid entries. ---> System.ArgumentException: The string was not recognized as a valid DateTime. There is a unknown word starting at index 18.Couldn't store <8/04/2003 9:13:36 a.m.> in Created Date Column. Expected type is DateTime. ---> System.FormatException: The string was not recognized as a valid DateTime. There is a unknown word starting at index 18.
This error occurs when the agentless inventory task tries to update the Datetime column of the Inv_Database table, with this time format "8/04/2003 9:13:36 a.m "
Update is failing on Inv_Database table due to data type is set to Datetime
The workaround for this issue is to change the format of the affected Created Date column. However, as this involves modification of your CMDB database, PLEASE ensure you have a backup copy of the database before proceeding. The steps are as follow:
Disclaimer: The following appears to work around the issue. However, full validation has not occurred so please use with caution. As the field will no longer enforce a DateTime format, there may be report ramifications.
1. Connect to the CMDB database via SQL Management Studio. Locate the CMDB database by expanding <SQL_Server_instance_name> > Databases on the left pane, then right click the CMDB database and select New Query.
2. Please run the following command:
alter table dbo.Inv_Database alter column [Created Date] varchar(254) NOT NULL
3. After the above change, please run Server inventory task on database server and Agentless Inventory tasks or manually process the NSE. Server Inventory should be able to run, please verify the Task Status, and check if there is any new entry listed in the Inv_Database table.
select * from Inv_Database
IT Management Suite (ITMS) 7.1 SP2
Symantec Management Platform (SMP) 7.1.8280
Inventory Solution 7.1.7581
Regional Settings is set to New Zealand (Language is set to English (NZ), and time format is set to a.m./p.m.)