A pictured installation guide for Symantec Encryption Management Server.
This could be useful in case you are unsure where to put the settings, or you want to check what awaits you prior installing the server. The screens will go through the most standard settings, no deep information provided. The screens may vary depending on your version.
If information is needed, you are welcome to read the Administrators Guide, Installation Guide for the Product version you are actually using.
Symantec Encryption Management Server 3.3.2 - Administrator's Guide: http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC7069
Symantec Encryption Management Server 3.3.2 - Installation Guide: http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC7067
1. When the first screen appears, you may press enter to choose the default method or go to the options screen to change the basic settings:
The default is "customnet", which lets you enter network-settings as well, but partition the assigned hard disk.
2. This shows a warning message, since the option customnet will format the disk and any existing data will be erased.
3. The next screen will ask for the IP-Address in CIDR-notation. Instead you may specify the netmask as well, in this example it would be 255.255.255.0.
4. You are prompted to enter the Gateway and DNS-Server(s).
5. Assign the hostname (FQDN) the Symantec Encryption Management Server should use.
Symantec Corporation strongly recommends that you name your externally visible Symantec Encryption Management Server according to
the keys. convention, which allows other Symantec Encryption Management Servers to easily find valid public keys for email recipients in your domain.
6. Symantec Encryption Management Server will now be installed.
7. After the installation process, the Symantec Encryption Management Server will reboot and come up with this screen. The screen also refers to the web interface which we will now visit.
8. When opening the Symantec Encryption Management Server webpage, you should see the welcome screen.
9. Please read through the License Agreement, print a copy if needed and agree to it in order to continue the setup.
10. As we have a fresh install, you can follow the default selection for the Setup Type.
Use the other settings for joining a cluster or restoring a backup.
11. Here you can specify the time zone for this server. Please refrain from using an NTP Server if you plan to use the VMware integrated time synchronization.
12. Again you may check your network settings in a summary. You can make changes here prior confirming.
13. And finally you can see another summary. Go back if you need to change something.
14. Even you didn't change anything, this standard screen will appear. Give the server some time to setup the services for you.
You may see this screen as well when you change network related settings in the Symantec Encryption Management Server.
15. You should be redirected automatically using the DNS Name, if not you may want to access the server again via IP address.
You are now prompted to enter the License you purchased with Symantec Encryption Management Server.
16. Setup the Administrator account.
17. If you are using the server for securing mails, select the placement of the server in your infrastructure.
Refer to the Admin Guide for in-depth information. We'll continue with the default.
18. Provide the mail servers address for sending the mails to.
19. This is the screen for the ignition key. This is optional, recommended if your servers hardware cannot be secured or it might be stolen.
It is not recommended as its careless usage can cause issues. If you do not need it, since your hardware is secure, go to step 21.
20. Here we setup a soft Ignition Key.
21. Backup the Organization Key, which will sign generated Keys and encrypt your Server Backups.
When restoring a backup from this server you'll need the Organization Key the Backup was encrypted to. Otherwise the Backup won't be readable.
22. And finally a summary of your setup, License and other things.
23. Again, you will see the screen for changed network settings and it should be redirecting to the Login-screen
24. Login with the credentials you entered in step 16.
25. This is the new accounts welcome screen.
26. There is a Training mode for fresh Administrators, the Learn-Mode is enabled. See the yellow hat on the right?
27. By clicking the yellow hat you'll see this:
To disable the Learn-Mode remove the check mark and click "Save".
28. You are done. This is the System Overview of the fresh Server without Learn-Mode.
This concludes the setup. You may configure your Server with Keys, Active Directory Synchronization and so on.
Prepared Hardware according to our list of certified hardware http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH149007
Either you have the .iso mounted in the virtual machine or it was burned to a DVD which is now in the optical drive of Symantec Encryption Management Server.