After installing a Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) client, the Symantec Management Client (SMC) service is not able to start.
A manual attempt to start the SMC service results in an Event ID 1068 error being returned.
Error: Service Control Manager
Event 7001: The event description cannot be found. The following information is part of the event: Symantec Management Client, service name, %%1058
Dependency services are not started.
1. Go to "Start", "Run" and type "services.msc" then click OK, or in the Windows Control Panel, open Administrative Tools, and then open "Services".
2. In the list of services, locate the Symantec Management Client service.
3. Right-click on the Symantec Management Client service, and then click Properties.
4. Select the "Dependencies" tab.
Note which services the Symantec Management Client service depends on.
Check the dependency services to confirm whether they are started or not. It may be necessary to check dependencies for these services as well.
Re-configure SMC's dependency services as needed to allow them to start. Ensure these services are set to Automatic startup type and manually start them if needed.
5. Click Apply and OK.
6. Start the Symantec Management Client service.
Please contact Symantec Technical Support in the event further assistance is required.
Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008
Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.x, 12.x