Steps for moving a database to a different SQL server and setting custom SQL port
-Backup existing sql database
-Restore the DB to the new SQL location
-Create a new connection String to connect to the database with a custom port:
This is reflected in the registry key of "Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\Client\ConnectTo" once it is created
1. On the SQL server go to 'Start Menu --> Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Data Sources (ODBC)'
2. Under the User DSN tab click the 'Add..' Button
3. Select SQL server and hit 'Finish'
4. Give the connection string a name, description and tell it the server to connect to. Then Hit 'Next'
5. Configure the settings for authentication on the SQL server. Then click the 'Client Configuration...' button
6. In the Edit Network Library Configuration settings you would unselect 'Dynamically determine port' and insert a custom port here. Then hit the 'ok' button.
7. Then back in the Create a New Data Source to SQL Server window hit the 'Next' Button and run through the rest of the settings until the end and then hit the 'ok' button
8. Once this is done you should see the registry key "Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\Client\ConnectTo" populated with the new connection string.
- After the connection string is created go to the Altiris\Notification Server\Tools folder and run aexconfig /db using the dbserver:, dbname:, dbusername:, dbpassword: and dbtimeout: parameters.