Backup CCS ADAM DB with dsdbutil.exe in windows 2008 and 2008 R2 server.
- Stop SymantecCCS service.
- Open command prompt as Administrator. At the prompt type DSDBUTIL and press enter. You should receive a "dsdbutil:" prompt.
- Type the command: Activate Instance SymantecCCS and then press enter.
- Type the command: Files which will take you in file maintenance mode
- To take backup type the command: Compact To C:\Symantec_ADAM
- Once command is completed successfully it will create a backup of adamntds.dit file in the folder called Symantec_ADAM....any folder name can be given in place of this folder.
Restoring CCS ADAM if backup is performed with dsdbutil.exe on windows 2008 and 2008 R2
- Stop the SymantecCCS service
- Delete the old log files at the location C:\Program Files\Microsoft ADAM\SymantecCCS\data\logs\
- Open command prompt as Administrator on the CCS directory server (normally the application server)
- Type the command: xcopy /os C:\Symantec_ADAM\adamntds.dit "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ADAM\SymantecCCS\data\adamntds.dit"
- It will prompt you with the question: "Does C:\Program Files\Microsoft ADAM\SymantecCCS\data\adamntds.dit specify a file name or directory name on the target
(F = file, D = directory)? Press "F" key on your keyboard
- Once the file is replaced, verify the file in the target folder has been replaced with the backup version.
- Now start the SymantecCCS service
- Launch CCS console.
IMPORTANT NOTE: When restarting the SymantecCCS service, if you receive error "Windows could not start the SymantecCCS service on local computer. 0xc0000001; 0xc0000001"
- Change the logon account that is used for the SymantecCCS service to Local System Account instead of the default (which is Network Service). Alternately you can explicitly grant the NETWORK SERVICE full control to C:\Program Files\Microsoft ADAM folder, files and subfolders and files. Either solution should ensure that the restored file can be accessed by the SymantecCCS service.
- Remove the following DWORD in the Windows registry and then restart the SymantecCCS service: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ADAM_SymantecCCS\Parameters\DSA Database Epoch
Note: If the ADAM and SQL backups were not performed at the same time they can still be used but orphaned data may occur. When the SQL backup is newer than the ADAM, the SQL will have records that are not associated with GUIDs in ADAM. When the ADAM is newer there will be GUIDs that do not have any data associated with them. Either scenario will not prevent CCS from starting from the restore. However, in either case any data collected after the oldest backup (ADAM or SQL) would be lost.