How to Install Symantec Encryption Desktop (unmanaged/standalone)
TIP: Before starting the installation, it is highly recommended to review HOWTO85149 - Considerations and Best Practices for Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3.2.
Extracting the Installer
- Double click to open the downloaded zip file (ex. SymantecEncryptionDesktop10.3.0mp3_Windows.zip)
- Select to extract all files
- Choose file location and extract the installation and documentation to the local file system.
Installing the Application
Before installing the application determine if the Operating System is 32-bit or 64-bit. For assistance in finding what version the machine is running please see the following article:
- Double click to open the extracted archive
- Double-click the correct installer for you Operating System (32-or 64-bit)
- Select the proper language and hit OK button
- Review the License Agreement.
- Once you accept the License Agreement, then select the radio button and click the Next button.
- Click next to not have the release Notes displayed after install. (If you want the release notes to display after install, select the radio button to Display the Release Notes)
- Next the installer will run through the installation process.
- If the following message is displayed the wrong installer was selected. Select the other installation file for your operating system.
- If the following message is displayed select yes
- Reboot of the system is required. Select the Yes button to initiate reboot or select No and reboot at a later time.
After reboot of the system it is necessary to run through the Configuration Wizard to enable the features within Symantec Encryption Desktop you wish to use.
After the Reboot - Walking through the Setup Assistant
1. First, a wizard will be displayed and will ask to enable the encryption software on the computer. Select Yes.
2. Click Next until the License Window appears. The License number that is needed is a 28-digit string of numbers and letters and was mentioned in article TECH195170
If a name and organization is displayed, enter any value (any value will be accepted). Starting with 10.3.2 MP8, it is no longer necessary to enter a name and organization.
4. Copy and paste the entire 28-digit string of numbers and letters and paste into the field (The entire 28-digit string will paste into all the individual boxes).
5. Select the option, "I am a new user" and click Next.
6. When the key generation wizard pops up, click "Skip" if this is Symantec Drive Encryption only, and no File Encryption, File Share Encryption, or Email Encryption is needed. If any of these features will be used, enter the appropriate values, and click next.
7. If you would like to publish your key to the public keyserver, choose this option, but otherwise, click "Skip" (recommended in most situations).
8. If Email Encryption is not needed, uncheck the options when they are displayed.
9. Follow the on-screen instructions and click Finish to complete the Setup Assistant.
For information on "Encryption Desktop for Windows - System Requirements", see KB TECH224415.
For information on "Considerations and Best Practices for Symantec Encryption Desktop", see KB HOWTO85149
For information on "Downloading Symantec Encryption Desktop", see KB TECH195170.