PGP Keys are essential to the use of PGP Encryption encryption, therefore it is important to backup your keys by either exporting the key(s) to a file and storing in a secure location. You can also use the backup feature provided within PGP Encryption Desktop (see the Backup option within PGP Options).
See the following article for how to export PGP Keys with macOS:
180221 - HOW TO: Export PGP Keys in Encryption Desktop for Mac OS X
Enter a passphrase that is not easy to guess, but do not enter a passphrase easily forgotten. If you forget the passphrase to a key, any Email or file encrypted to the key will remain encrypted and appear as cipher text.
Create a Keypair
Use the following steps, if you skipped the PGP Key Assistant keypair creation during installation, or if you would like to create a new keypair.
- Open PGP Encryption Desktop.
- Click File and select New > PGP Key. The New PGP Key dialog box is displayed.
- To specify advanced settings for your new key such as key size, compression, or hashes, select the Expert Mode checkbox.
- Click Continue.
- Enter your Full Name and your email address in the Email Address field to be used for your key.
- Click Continue. The Set your keys passphrase screen is displayed.
- Enter a passphrase for the key you are creating, then enter it again to confirm it.
Caution: Enter a passphrase that is not easy to guess, but do not enter a passphrase easily forgotten. If you forget the passphrase to a key, any Email or file encrypted to the key will remain encrypted and appear as cipher text.
The Passphrase Quality bar provides a basic guideline for the strength of the passphrase you are creating.
- To save this passphrase in the Mac OS X Keychain, select the box Save passphrase in Keychain.
- Click Continue. The PGP Key creation summary screen is displayed.
- Click Show Details to show details about the key.
- Click Create Key. PGP Desktop generates your new keypair. This process can take several minutes.
- When the key generation process indicates that it is complete, click Finish.