Ghost Solution Suite can be used to create an image of a PC that can serve as a backup. This article will show you how to create a task to backup a PC without overwriting backup images of other PC's.
- This article applies to Ghost Solution Suite 3.x, not Ghost Standard Tools.
- Ghost Solution Suite is not designed to be disaster recovery software. A Ghost image can be used as a backup of a particular computer, but Symantec recommends using a dedicated disaster recovery software for that specific purpose.
- Launch the Ghost Solution Suite console.
- Click File New Job
- Type in the name of the job "Backup This PC"
- Click the Add button on the right side to add a task to the job.
- Choose Create DIsk Image
- Click Select Options
- Navigate to the folder you want to save the backup image to, then type in "%COMPNAME%.gho" into the FileName field then click OK. This will cause it to save the name of the image as the name of the PC that is being imaged. That way a new image will not overwrite an image that was created by another PC.
Note that if you create a disk image of a PC with the same name as an existing image it will overwrite the existing image.
- Check the box "Do not boot to Production if the client is already in Automation pre-boot" - this will prevent the client from booting to production windows, then back to automation. Automation pre-boot environment field is usually left as Default Automation.
- Click Finish