Project/Investment Dates must encompass the minimum/maximum dates of the Task Dates and or the Staff Allocation-specific dates (if set).
Within the Task WBS, Summary tasks must encompass the minimum/maximum dates of the child Tasks.
If Assignments are created on tasks, changing the Assignment Dates will impact the Task Date as it must encompass the minimum/maximum assignment dates.
When Staff members are added to an investment, the allocation defaults to using the Investment dates.
Entering allocation-specific dates for Staff members that extend beyond the investment dates, will change the investment dates.
Task Dates are impacted by the 'Actuals Thru Date' when actuals are posted on the associated assignments. This can cause the Task Dates to not update or get automatically reset to a different date if you try to change the date.
Simple Rules regarding changing only the Start Date of a Task vs only changing the Finish Date of a Task (without the impact of posted actuals):
- If you change only the Start Date of a task, it is assumed that you want to keep the duration of the task and the Finish Date will move accordingly
- If you change only the Finish Date of a task, it is assumed that you are changing the duration of the task and the Start Date will NOT change
- When the Start date or Finish date of a child task is changed that falls outside of the parent, Summary Task, that Summary Task's dates will change accordingly
- When any Task's Start date or Finish date falls outside of the Project/Investment's dates, the dates for the investment will be extended accordingly
- If you 'shrink' or 'bring in' the minimum/maximum Start and Finish Dates on ALL child tasks, the parent, Summary Task will reflect the new min/max dates of all the children tasks
- 'Shrinking' all Task dates does not 'shrink' the investment dates - investment dates are only changed when the task or allocation dates are adjusted to extend beyond the set dates
- Summary tasks inherit the dates from their children. In order to change the summary task dates, the children's dates must be changed first.
- Milestones are one day tasks, you can only change the finish date, not the start date. The start date will change when the finish date changes.
- Reference KB: Extending task Finish date impact to ETC on assignments
The ETC and Assignment Dates are impacted by the 'Actuals Thru Date' when actuals are posted to the assignment. This can cause assignment dates to not update or to get automatically reset to a different date if you try to change the date.
For Assignments, changing either the Start or Finish date assumes the assignment duration is being changed.
Simple rules for Assignment Dates (without the impact of posted actuals)
- When Assignment dates are changed, the Assignment ETC remains the same (assuming the Staff Allocation and Availability is the same for the new date range) and redistributed within the new date range regardless of shrinking or expanding the duration of the assignment
- You can change the Assignment Start date forward only. You cannot change it to a date prior to the Task Start Date. If you change only the Start Date of an assignment, the assignment Finish Date does not change; the duration of the assignment is changed accordingly (reduced)
- If you change only the Finish Date of an assignment, the Start Date does not change; the duration of the assignment is changed accordingly
- When the Assignment Finish date is changed that falls outside of the Task's dates, the Task Dates are extended and all following Task date rules to impact parent summary task dates and investment dates are rolled up
- If you 'shrink' or 'bring in' the minimum/maximum Start and Finish Dates on ALL assignments for a Task, the Task Dates 'shrink'
What can impact / change dates?
Changing the dates can be accomplished via the below
- Direct field entry in Classic
- Direct field entry or Bulk Edit in Modern UX
- PPM Gantt, OWB, or MSP
- XOG Input
- API Integration
- Rally to Clarity Integration
Updating the Start or Finish date fields independently is possible in some or all of the areas mentioned above, especially in the Modern UX.
When using XOG or Integrations, be sure to supply both Start and Finish dates on the task. If you do not, Clarity will move the Finish date based on the change to the Start date.