Enabling and monitoring persistent connections in your ITMS 8.5.x system.
"Persistent connection in IT Management Suite enables real-time data transfer from and to Symantec Management Agent and lets you perform tasks on client computers in real-time. For example, you can gather inventory on client computers in real-time to validate the current hardware or software state.
"Persistent connection in IT Management Suite uses a WebSocket communication protocol. WebSocket operates over HTTPS and uses standard HTTPS port (443) for communication. It does not require keeping additional ports open on the servers or on the client computers. It also uses existing SSL certificates for communication.
"When the persistent connection is enabled for Notification Server, site servers and all required agents, it is used for all management traffic: registrations, sending NSEs, policy downloads, etc. Note that the WebSocket protocol is not used for package downloads.
"If persistent connection is disabled or terminated by intermediate hardware, the communication reverts to using legacy HTTP or HTTPS protocols."
Windows Server 2012 R2 or Windows Server 2016
IT Management Suite (ITMS) 8.5.x
A persistent connection requires an HTTPS connection between the Agents and the desired server. Notification and Site Servers are required to have IIS 8.0 and higher. This is due to the need to use web sockets that were introduced in IIS 8. Server 2012 is needed to run IIS 8 as well.
Please use the following steps to enable persistent connection in your environment:
1) First, using the Symantec Management Console, go to the "Notification Server Settings", enable "Persistent Connection" and then "Save changes".
2) Second, go to Settings>All Settings>Agents/Plug-ins>Symantec Management Agent>Symantec Management Agent Communication Profiles and choose the Notification Server.
Click the "Edit" link to the right of "Persistent connection..." and the "Persistent Connection Settings for Communication Profile" dialog box appears.
Check the box to "
3) Third, go to Settings>Notification Server>Site Server Settings>Site Server Settings and click on "Global Site Server Settings". Then enable "Persistent Connection" and "Save changes".
4) In order to monitor persistent connections from the Symantec Management Console, go to Reports>All Reports>Notification Server Management>Agent and click on "Agent Connection Status."
5) To verify the persistent connection for an individual client machine, open the Symantec Management Agent for that machine and look at the "Server Connection" (shown in yellow below).