Advanced Download Protection (Download Insight) is a new advanced protection feature included with the SEP client. This feature allows the SEP client to leverage Symantec's Cloud-based reputation database when files are downloaded or executed directly from popular Web browsers.
- Download Insight scans all Portable Executable (PE) and MSI files (including .bat, .com, .dll, .drv, .exe, .msi, .ocx, .sys - etc.) when they are downloaded through or launched by a portal application.
- Web browsers like Internet Explorer and FireFox are supported portal applications
- Download Insight is a protection technology based solely on the reputation of files (No signature or behavioral analysis is performed by Download Insight)
- AutoProtect is the driver responsible for the reputation scanning functionality of Download Insight.
- Download Insight uses the SEP client's Client Intrusion Detection System (CIDS) to retrieve information about files being accessed
Download Insight detection flow
Download Insight scanning occurs as a normal part of the AutoProtect component when files are downloaded through a supported portal application. It's possible for an application to be detected as a possible threat by Download Insight and trigger local Antivirus definitions. In this instance, the threat will be remediated using the Eraser engine.
- An executable file is created by a known portal application
- The file is scanned by AutoProtect using the local SEP client's AntiVirus (AV) definitions
- The file is scanned for Reputation
- AutoProtect notifies the SEP client of the reputation results
- The SEP client displays a notification that the file is being scanned/remediated
- The SEP client initiates the remediation process (Eraser remediation for AV detections, CloudScan notification for reputation detections)
- Once the remediation process is complete, a dialog box is presented to the user with the results of the scan
Note: Virus and Spyware Protection ONLY installations do not install the CIDS (IPS) driver which will reduce some of the functionality of Download Advisor. Download Advisor is locked at level 1 (in 14.3 RU5 and earlier only). Trusted Web Domain exclusions will be unavailable.
- In most cases, it will take a long time (more than 10 seconds) for the detection/remediation process to complete
- While the detection/remediation work is taking place, a small notification is displayed at the bottom right corner of the screen once an anomaly is detect
- The default duration of this notification is 8 seconds and it disappears automatically
- Once the detection has been remediated, a dialog is displayed detailed information about the detection (URL, file name, detection information, and actions taken by the SEP client).