With Symantec Management Platform (SMP) 7.1 the SMP logs and EventQueue have been moved to the "C:\ProgramData\Symantec\SMP" directory. See KB 180373 "Where are the event queues (EvtQueue, EvtQFast, etc) for Symantec Management Platform 7.1 located?"
Some potential concerns and problems could include:
1-Filling up the OS drive could cause the system to fail in unpredictable ways.
2-The Logs and queues will have the propensity to fill a drive.
3-The OS may be installed on mirrored drives which would significantly slow down write performance.
4-The OS drive can be smaller than the other drives on the system.
5- Internal policies may not allow any application information on C:\.
Symantec Management Platform 7.1 SP1 and later
Prior to SMP 7.1 SP2, it was working as designed. However, it was reviewed by Product Management and Development team and changes were made.
Changes were made for this requirement in the SMP 7.1 SP2 release in order to accommodate our customers' needs.
Event Queue path now are changeable via registry: EventQueuePath key in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Altiris\eXpress\Notification Server" for earlier versions (7.6 and earlier).
For ITMS 8.1, 8.5, 8.6, you can make the change on the Event Queue path under the core setting called "EventQueuePath"
NOTE: Do not redirect the EventQueues to the NSCap directory structure as it has been known to stop NSE's from being processed. Please refer to KB KB 156081 for more information regarding this.
1) Path to Event queue can be changed via registry key. Changes will be applied after all services are restarted. The recommended way to change path values is:
1) Stop all Altiris services and "World Wide Web Publishing" service .
2) change registry values
3) start all Altiris services and "World Wide Web Publishing" Service, then copy all NSE files from the previous location into the new EventQueue\EvtInbox directory.
2) Default values for event queue ([CommonAppDataFolder]Symantec\SMP\EventQueue) now are hard-coded in MSI file.
3) All hard-coded values with path to event queue folder are replaced with properties from NS.Installation.ProductConfiguration.
4) Event queue folders will be created on first call to properties in NS.Installation.ProductConfiguration.
5) If folder for event queue can not be created then exception will be thrown and entry added into Altiris and/or Windows Application logs.
6) Upgrade (In-Box)/Repair - old values should be migrated from previous version.
7) NS core working event queue - *.nse should be placed into the right place (specified in registry or core setting).