Hot/cold backups for Clarity on a lower environment
Article ID: 14491
Clarity PPM On Premise
Clarity PPM SaaS
Is it possible to use a hot backup for Clarity on a lower environment? Planning to export a copy of Production database with services still running for import later into a lower environment
Release: All Supported Clarity releases
- Cold backup is a database backup taken with Clarity services stopped. Usually this happens during maintenance hours on weekends.
- Hot backup is taken with app services running and users connected
- There is a chance that some of the data is modified in the meantime, which could lead to different mismatches (including sequences mismatch, unable to export/import tables etc).
- Broadcom Support does not support hot backups for upgrade.
- For all activities other than disaster recovery a cold backup should be used. This includes migrating environments, upgrading, changing hardware etc.
- Best practice is to get a recurrent cold backup during maintenance downtime and use it for restore to lower environments