This is for LINUX only.
We recently started receiving the error message "An unexpected error occurred while retrieving data. Please check the user access privileges or run as a different user." on some of the dashlets in CA Business Intelligence when integrated with UIM. The message persisted when we viewed the dashboards as the superuser as well ruling out a permissions issue. When we ran the report directly in CABI it would give us the long list of java related errors but if you look closely it will tell you that you need to add -XX:MaxDirectMemorySize=10G to the startup options as a solution. As I do not have 10GB of memory I adjusted my value according to my resources but it worked at -XX:MaxDirectMemorySize=3G. The java error message below was also in the C:\Program Files\CA\SC\CA Business Intelligence\apache-tomcat\logs\cabusinessintelligencetomcat-stdout.2017-11-15.log file as well
Caused by: org.mapdb.DBException$OutOfMemory: Out of Direct buffer memory. Increase it with JVM option '-XX:MaxDirectMemorySize=10G' at org.mapdb.volume.ByteBufferMemoryVol.ensureAvailable(ByteBufferMemoryVol.java:112) at org.mapdb.volume.ByteBufferMemoryVol.<init>(ByteBufferMemoryVol.java:76)
To fix the issue you need to modify the startup parameters for the CA Business Intelligence Tomcat service instance. You can follow the Tomcat instructions available on the tomcat page below to make the modifications.
This can be done by editing the setenv.sh file located in :
Change the line