Detailed Description and Symptoms
After installing a new UNIX Agent on an UNIX host, the Agent starts and runs (verified by using "ps -ef" command the process/PID); however, the Agent does not connect to the AutomationEngine installed on a UNIX host (does not appear in the System Overview in Client 0000). Investigation
1) Verify the Agent is not connecting by checking the Server logs for a connection attempt from the Agent for IP address, Agent name from the "ini" file or the DNS name of the UNIX host. If any of the previous "identifiers" are found in the server logs, then the Agent is connecting to the AE and the problem may be another issue.Solution
2) When examing the Agent logs, the last message appearing in the logs is the Agent attempting to connect to the AE. This message would be similar to this:
U2000072 Connection to system 'Automic' initiated.
1) Attempt to "ping" IP address and/or DNS name of the AE.
2) If the previous step fails, try using "Nslookup" to determine if you are able to resolve the IP address to the DNS name of the AE host.
3) If either 1) or 2) works, then the problem is likely to be that the UNIX host where the remote Agent is installed is not in the 'hosts' file of the UNIX host where the AE is installed.
Add the host where the Agent is installed to the 'hosts' file of the UNIX host where the AE is installed. The Agent should be able to establish a connection with the AE after this is completed.