Graphical Indicators are not displayed for some custom fields in Microsoft Project (MSP) when opening a XML in MSP
Steps to Reproduce (Using MSP Standalone):
1. Create a formula for a Custom Field:
In this example the formula used:
IIf([% Complete]=100,0,DateDiff("d",[Baseline Finish],[Finish]))
2. Create Graphical Indicators for the Custom Field:
3. Create one task with Start / Finish Dates and then baseline the project in MSP (Go to the Project tab, Click ‘Set Baseline’ then ‘Set Baseline’ again and click OK (This is needed for this particular formula)
4. Add the ‘Number’ column to the view in MSP and view the graphical indicator displayed (In this example it’s a green check box)
5. Save the project as an XML
6. Open the XML file in MSP
7. Add the ‘Number’ column back to the view if not there already
Expected Results: The graphical indicator still shows for the field (Green Check box in this example)
Actual Results: A value is instead shown (“0” in this example)
Note: If you go to Project->Custom Fields-> and click the Graphical Indicators button for ‘Number’, you will see that the Graphical Indicators have been deleted.
This is due to a Microsoft Project limitation, reproducible in MSP Standalone.
This is working as currently expected as part of Microsoft Project's XML design. To request an enhancement to change this behavior in the MSP new driver, we encourage you to submit an idea from our Communities site.
1. Save the custom field to the Global.MPT after creating the Formula/Graphical Indicator (This is a one time step):
2. Then, when you open the project in MSP:
(This has to be done each time you open the project)
Reference TEC1987484 for steps on how to submit an idea