When trying to export test cases from Agile Requirements Designer to ALM, I am receiving errors such as 'ALM has failed' and 'Bulk operation failed'.
The root cause of this issue was an ALM limitation.ALM was not accepting certain special characters in the Title/Test Case Name field. For example: ?,'/!
The reason you do not received a message with this information specifically is because the ALM APIs are limited, and do not provide a sufficient error message for the problem.
You may also receive this error message if your Title/Test Case Name is too long. There is a character limit in ALM which can be increased or decreased by your ALM administrator.
We found the issue by copy/pasting the test case name into the Title field in ALM. If you test the title names from within ALM, you will receive a specific error message.
Release : 2.10 and earlier
Component : CA Agile Requirements Designer
Development is currently working on an enhancement to improve this ALM limitation. In the meantime, here are some workarounds that can be used:
- When creating new test cases, do not add any special characters in the 'Name' field, but instead add them in the 'Description' field.
- For example:
Name: Have Water
Description: Have Water?
- Before exporting your test cases in Path Explorer, remove the special characters from the test case name.
- In your ALM mappings/configuration, under the Description field's AgileDesigner Field Name, change the drop down option to 'Description of Blocks'.
- When you export to ALM, in the description field, you will see all the titles/names of blocks as is with the special characters included.
- This will not be in the main title in ALM, but at least the real titles with special characters will be available in ALM.
If you experience any further, please open a support case by going to https://casupport.broadcom.com/user/ or calling one of these numbers https://www.ca.com/us/services-support/ca-support/contact-support.html?intcmp=footernav.