When creating new tasks in Microsoft Project (MSP), after saving the file back to PPM and re-exporting to MSP, the tasks move to the bottom of the project (or bottom of the summary task if added under a phase/summary task). Symptoms can also be seen if clicking F9 to update the MSP scree, where tasks will then end up out of order.
Steps to Reproduce:
Expected Results: The tasks remain in the same order (Task 5 displays in between Task 2 and Task 3)
Actual Results: The newly created task (Task 5) shows up at the bottom of the project
This is due to a setting in Microsoft Project
1. Open a project that has the issue (or a new project)
2. Click on the 'View' tab in MSP
3. Click on the 'Sort' option from the menu then select 'Sort By...'
4. Change Sort by from 'Unique ID' (if showing for you) to 'ID'
5. Uncheck the box titled 'Permanently renumber tasks'
6. Click 'Sort'
7. Save the current view to the Global.MPT: