When attempting to install a UIM robot using an answer file (i.e. silent install), and specifying an alternate temporary directory using the "tempdir" directive, the installation may still fail.
The installation log will contain the following error:
2017-05-16 11:24:17.819 Installing vcredist_x86.exe...
2017-05-16 11:24:17.819 Extracting temporary file: C:\Users\(username)\AppData\L
2017-05-16 11:24:17.996 Installing of Visual c++ 2008 failed. Exiting install.
The robot calls a third-party installer to install the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable libraries which are used by the robot.
This installer relies on the operating-system level TEMP/TMP folders instead of the folder specified in the "tempdir=" directive in the answer file.
Windows environment where use of the TEMP/TMP folder(s) are restricted.
- On the target machine, log in as the user which is being used to run the installer
- Right-click on ‘Computer’ in windows, go to Properties/advanced system settings
- From here click on the ‘Advanced’ tab
- From here click on ‘Environment Variables’
- In the User Variables section you will find two variables set:
TEMP = %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp
TMP = %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp
- Edit these variables and set the values to the desired temporary folder location
- Perform the installation again