Snmpcollector Devices Stuck In "Discovery pending"
The devices being discovered by snmpcollector should only be in a pending state for a short while. In the snmpcollector database, each device being discovered has a DiscoveryReason. This will look like, "Device was added to inventory", "Scheduled rediscovery", etc. Without a DiscoveryReason, the device will never leave "Discovery pending" status.
To evaluate and resolve this issue, please do the following while the problem is happening:
1. Create a database back up by copying the ...Nimsoft\probes\network\snmpcollectorcheck\SnmpCollector.mv.db file.
2. In a web browser on the snmpcollector server, go to http://localhost:9715/database
3. Enter the snmpcollector database management interface using the username "sa" and no password
4. Run the following query:
select * FROM SNMPDEVICE where DISCOVERYSTATE='DISCOVERY_PENDING' and DISCOVERYREASON='';
5. If the above query returns any rows, the DISCOVERYREASON is empty for these devices. This problem can be resolved by updating the DB to set a valid reason. This can be done by updating the DISCOVERYREASON to "User request" with the following query:
update SNMPDEVICE set DISCOVERYREASON='User request' where DISCOVERYSTATE='DISCOVERY_PENDING';
6. The discovery process can be monitored with the following query. After the update query, this count number should begin to decrease.
select count(*) FROM SNMPDEVICE where DISCOVERYSTATE='DISCOVERY_PENDING'