If a task that is not Fixed Duration has ETC, you are unable to edit the dates or duration in Open Workbench (OWB).
Steps to Reproduce:
1. In OWB, create a new project
2. Create a task, Task 1 (not Fixed Duration, with dates of 5/31/16 -5/3116)
3. Assign a resource to Task 1
4. Set the Loading Pattern to either Uniform or Contour
5. If not already, change the ETC for the resource to 0 hours
6. Change the task finish date to 6/2/16 either by manually changing the date, changing the task duration to 3 days, or moving the right end of the Gantt bar to this date
7. Now add 10 hours of ETC to the resource assignment from Step 3
8. Attempt to change the task finish date to end one day later (6/3/16) either by manually changing the date, changing the task duration to 3 days, or moving the right end of the Gantt bar to this date
Expected Result: The Finish date remains at the new entered date of 6/3/16. The Duration value remains at the new entered date of 4 days. The gantt scroll bar remains at the new end date of 6/3/16.
Actual Result: The Finish date reverts back to the previous date. The Duration value reverts back to the previous value. The gantt bar reverts back to its previous length.
This is caused by CLRT-77207
This applies to Open Workbench (OWB) for CA PPM 14.3 patch 2 and higher.
This is working as designed. OWB does not allow Task Start dates or Finish dates to extend beyond it's assignment's Start of Finish dates unless it's a Fixed Duration task. It was mistakenly allowed for a while in previous versions as a side effect of fixing a different defect back in 13.0. However, this was reverted back to the intended behavior when the following defect: CLRT-77207 was fixed in 126.96.36.199. (This does differ from the behavior in PPM, which is expected)
Workaround for this behavior: Change tasks to Fixed Duration
Reference TEC1696455 : PPM 14.3 Generic Patch available to resolve reported issues
Reference TEC1773667 : OWB Auto-schedule ignores Resource Availability when using priorities (Details on defect referenced above (CLRT-77207)
Reference TEC1942936 : When a project is saved back from OWB, the task dates change if the Assignment dates do not cover the entire duration of the task