You can increase the size of a database by using Object Explorer in SQL Server Management Studio. The database is expanded by either increasing the size of an existing data or log file or by adding a new file to the database.
To increase the size of a database
- Connect to an instance of the SQL Server Database Engine in the SQL Server Management Studio Object Explorer.
- Expand the instance.
- Expand Databases and select the database that you want to increase the size.
- Right-click the database to increase, and click Properties.
- Select the Files page in Database Properties.
To increase the size of an existing file
Type the values for the new file.
- Increase the value in the Initial Size (MB) column for the file.
Make the data file as large as possible, based on the maximum amount of data you expect in the database.
To increase the size of the database by adding a new file
- Click Add
- Click OK.