The protection monitor module lets users collect and display protection-related data for managed agents. The 'Protection Monitor' inventory module needs to be configured for collecting and displaying protection-related data for managed agents.
Using this functionality, administrators can perform the following tasks:
- Collect and report relevant product and signature data about eTrust ITM and CA Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (CA HIPS) agents residing on the computers with CA IT Client Manager Solution installed.
Note: CA ITM includes CA Anti-Virus and CA Anti-Spyware functionality.
- Present information at the domain, group, and system level so that administrators can navigate and spot the problems in their IT environment.
- Use predefined protection queries to search for systems with specific inventory or status attributes.
- Use predefined protection policies to search for unprotected systems so as to easily identify them and take corrective actions.
- Use predefined protection reports to create reports over systems and their protection status.
- Launch remote commands to start the services or to update the signature files.
How the Protection Monitor Module Works
The protection monitor module is delivered and installed as part of the asset management installation. It does not run permanently, but is started on-demand by the asset management agent during collection of the inventory data.
Important! CA ITM or CA HIPS product must already be installed, configured, and running for the protection monitor to work properly. The protection monitor supports CA Anti-Virus 8.0 and 8.1, CA Anti-Spyware 8.0 and 8.1, and CA HIPS 1.0.
The protection monitor process broadly includes the following sequence of steps:
- Collects the product and signature information.
- Provides the collected information, a status for each security product and an overall protection status for the computer.
Note: You can find this information under installPath\Agent\units\00000001\uam\PROT.INV.
- The collected data is sent to the manager as other inventory data.
Video: "How to enable 'Protection Monitor' Inventory Collection?"
Click one of the links below to view the recording in your favorite format:
Click here to view the complete series of video production for CA IT Client Manager.