The APM 12.6 installation is by default going to use the port 1433.
In SQL server, the default instance has a listener which listens on the fixed port which is TCP port 1433. However for the named instance, the port on which the SQL server listens is random and is dynamically selected when the named instance of the SQL server starts. This is the default behavior when the ports are not defined for the named instance manually.
When installing APM 12.6 and using SQL Server named instances with dynamic ports, the following steps must be followed.
- Obtain the current running port from the database server thru the SQL server configuration manager.
- Start -> Programs -> SQL Server (version) -> Configuration Tools -> Configuration Manager or Click Start >> Run
For SQL Server 2005 Type "SQLServerManager.msc" and click OK
For SQL Server 2008 Type "SQLServerManager10.msc" and click OK
- In the Configuration Manager screen, expand the SQL Native Client Configuration
- Click on Client Protocols
- In the list of Client Protocols, click on TCP/IP
- This will list the dynamic port the named instance is currently running on
- Run the APM 12.6 mdb installation manually from the command prompt cd to the location of the setupmdb.bat file.
Use the below example to enter the following parameters
-DBVENDOR=mssql -DBNAME=mdb -DBHOST=<sql_server_name\instance_name -DBUSER=sa
-DBPASSWORD=<sapassword -MANIFEST=Unicenter_Asset_Portfolio_Management -WORKSPACE=UAPM
- Review the mdbinstall.log for any errors. The mdbinstall.log is usually located in the C:\Windows\Temp
\ITAM directory. Start -> Run -> %temp% should also take you to the location.
Note: Since the mdb installation was run manually from the command prompt, the apm configuration screen (start -program-CA-APM Configuration) will still list the mdb install as failed.
To remove the 'failed' words from the configuration screen, do the following:
- Make a copy of \Program Files\CA\ITAM\InstallConfig\RemCom\mdbinstall.bat
- Open the original mdbinstall.bat with notepad and delete everything from the file
- Save the empty bat file
- Open the APM Configuration screen (start->programs->CA->APM configuration)
- Click 'Retry' next to failed database install
- Refresh the screen and the mdb installation should show complete