ALERT: Some images may not load properly within the Knowledge Base Article. If you see a broken image, please right-click and select 'Open image in a new tab'. We apologize for this inconvenience.
Java heap space java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Web Viewer for Windows 12.1
Article ID: 4210
Output Management Web Viewer
Web Viewer 12.1 users are getting an error page. localhost.log shows this error: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space.
Out of Memory Condition
Need to reset the Java heap space
Microsoft Windows Server, Tomcat running as a Windows Service
Resolve this problem by increasing the amount of memory for Tomcat. If you are running Tomcat as a service, use the tomcat9w utility (name varies with the version of Tomcat)
Determine how much memory is on your Windows box.
- Are there any other applications running on this box except for Web Viewer and Tomcat?
- Bring up the Tomcat Manager to view the amount of memory you have available.
- Select the Server Status Tab
- Look under the JVM tab
- You will see something like this:
Free memory: 83.36 MB Total memory: 174.50 MB Max memory: 228.00 MB
- Or check in the System Information in the control panel
Generally you should allow no more than half of the available RAM for the operating system and other overhead and the rest should be available for Tomcat and Web Viewer.
For example, with a server that has 12 Gig available, you could specify up to 6 Gig for Tomcat.
Increasing the amount of memory for Tomcat with tomcat9w
Modify accordingly for other versions of Tomcat.
- From the Administrator Command Prompt, change into C:\Program Files\CA\CA_OM_Web_Viewer\apache-tomcat-9.0.54\bin for example
- Run the command
- This brings up the Tomcat Gui so you can modify the properties
- Select the Java tab
- For the Maximum memory pool, enter the new heap size. It should be at least 4096 (4 Gig). Optimally it can be 8192 (8 Gig).
- Click Apply OK
- If you do not have at least 4096 available for the heap size, you will need to add more memory to your server.