The Harvest user attempts to check-out an item from the Production state and gets this error message:
E0302000c: Item ....cannot be processed, later version exists or has tag.
The Harvest Administrator created a process in the Production state that creates a new version of the item, but there exists a later version of this item in the first state, for example the Development state.
To resolve this error message, you must create a process in production and use this to promote the affected item to development and then through every state leading up to production before you can check it out. After you are finished, you should delete this promote to Development from Production process as this is only necessary to fix this specific problem, not an ordinary part of the Production state. Follow the steps below to fix the problem:
(1) Your Harvest Administrator must create a process in the Production state for promote package to Development.
(2) Grant Execute Permissions to this Promote package process so that the user who received the error message can execute.
(3) Promote the package in the production state to the development state.
(4) Promote the package through all the states up to production.
(5) You will now be able to check-out the item.
(6) After you are finished, you can go ahead and delete the Promote Package process from Production to Development.