In UIM / UMP there are several things you can check:
1) Check that the CPU and memory on the UMP machine are not above 75% utilized
2) Check the disk IO and make sure the disk queue length is less than 1
3) Use the attached check SQL index fragmentation script to make sure all indexes are below 30% especially on the CM_* tables.
4) Check the nas_transaction_summary table and make sure the files are being groomed by the nas probe. If not, deactivate the nas probe and drop all of the nas_* tables on the back end.
5) Lastly, you can check the Maintenance_* tables for large numbers of entries, e.g., 40k or more. See KB KB000106216
in regards to cleaning up old maintenance schedules.