What sort of problems can TIM Trace options resolve?
All TIM/MTP APM releases.
1) Going up the OSI Stack.
Using the OSI (Open Systems Interconnection) Model can be helpful in debugging TIM issues.
The following is a typical bottom-up approach that may not be needed for all cases
2) Do I have a network connection and seeing HTTP/HTTPS/Flex traffic correctly?
This includes answering a series of questions like the following progression:
- Do I have traffic at all?
- Is it HTTP/HTTPS/Flex traffic?
- Is it two way traffic?
- Is it traffic from the desired web servers?
Note that the TIM Readiness Guide also covers this. See https://communities.ca.com/docs/DOC-101446785
To determine this, tracing connections and HTTP Components/parameters are helpful.
You can see the IP addresses the TIM is capturing, if the traffic has Opens, Resets, and Closes, note if there are HTTP Requests/Responses, determine if the network/servers change the IP address along the way, if something is truncating information, and so forth
3) Am I decoding SSL traffic correctly?
- TIM is limited what it can give you currently. More information is provided about unsuccessful than successful transactions. What can be provided is the following:
- Connection and IP information
- TLS version and ciphersuite used
- HTTPS decoded requests and responses
- Out of order and other SSL-related errors
- This should be supplemented by a PCAP analysis with the private key installed on the packet analysis computer.
4) Am I having User/User Group Issues?
- TIM Trace options can be enabled to provide:
- Session identification values for monitored transactions
- User values
- Whether or not a user was assigned to a user group as well as the user group name.
5) Am I having Defect or Transaction Definition issues?
- TIM Trace options can be set to tell you:
- If a transaction matches against a transaction definition
- Which transaction definition was matched.
- How many defects were created?
- Which defect type was created and for which business transaction?
Choosing TIM Trace Options http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/TEC1281821.aspx
TIM Trace Options Part 1: Overview https://communities.ca.com/message/241847328#241847328
TIM Trace Options Part 2: Settings https://communities.ca.com/message/241853574#241853574
Release: SAMCNS99000-10.2-NetQoS-SuperAgent-Management Console