Running the Service management 14.1 installer and SQL installed the mdb is on a named instance of SQL Server using a non-default port.
When entering the Database configuration information. The following error is returned:
! The TCP/IP Connection to the Host has failed. Check the server name and credentials.
<Please see attached file for image>
The install.log shows:
015/11/19 126.96.36.199 ERROR [AWT-EventQueue-0] [ConfigureSQLServer] The TCP/IP connection to the host
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The connection to the host AU-mdb-07, named instance test failed. Error: "java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Receive timed out". Verify the server and instance names and check that no firewall is blocking UDP traffic to port 1434. For SQL Server 2005 or later, verify that the SQL Server Browser Service is running on the host.
The problem can be seen on in an environment where a named instance of SQL Server using a non-default port is used during a Service management 14.1 installation.
This error is seen if a TCP/IP connection cannot be made from the Service Management to the SQL Server\Instance. This can be for a number of reasons:
1. The SQL Server\instance cannot be reached
2. The SQL Server Browser service on the MDB database server is not running
3. The SQL Server Browser port (1434) is not open between the Service management Server and the database server.
See the resolution to the above causes below:
1. For point 1 above, ensure that the SQL Server box is pingable from Service Management box and that the database port is open for TCP/IP connections between the boxes.
2. Start SQL Server Browser service on the MDB database server.
3. Open port 1434 for UDP traffic through the firewall for the SQL Server Browser service, between the Service Management Server and the MDB database server.