UMP itself does not communicate/talk to Discovery or communicate with with discovery_agents at all. Plus queues are now used for the discovery objects, there are no data files, no databases, or anything like that.
0. Discovery_server scans CM_DISCOVERY_AGENT for information on which agents are active, and their respective addresses and versions.
1. Discovery_server contacts each discovery_agent and passes it a configuration (for every scope, a start time must be present for the config to push properly, simply selecting "start discovery now" is insufficient and will generate errors).
2. Discovery_agent starts discovery and pushes the results onto a queue with the subject probeDiscovery. These messages contain both host and topology information.
3. Discovery_server subscribes to a probeDiscovery queue and scans for incoming discovery messages.
4. Discovery_server collects and correlates the entries based on its configuration.
5. Discovery_server sends the results to NimsoftSLM database where the appropriate tables are maintained.
6. USM reads NimsoftSLM for a listing of all discovered objects and displays them in the Inventory group.