Authentication failed: invalid user key errors generated every hour in universe.log
search cancel

Authentication failed: invalid user key errors generated every hour in universe.log


Article ID: 263116


Updated On:


CA Automic Dollar Universe


After installing a new node 6.10.101 instead of upgrading the existing one (6.3.41),  it was found that following messages were logged in universe.log of the node every hour while all Tasks were running correctly.

The management server (UVMS) is also newly installed and the new Dollar Universe node was installed on a new path.

| 2023-03-06 15:00:00 |ERROR|X|IO |pid=16181.55| kTrtAuthRequest           | Authentication failed: invalid user key (error -1)
| 2023-03-06 15:00:00 |ERROR|X|IO |pid=16181.55| k_select_accept_aut       | kTrtAuthRequest in error [-1]
| 2023-03-06 15:00:00 |ERROR|X|IO |pid=16181.55| u_io_thread_trt           | New client 111 (uxcmd/root on rprgduts) authentication failed: Authentication error (Authentication request error)

How can we fix such errors?


Release : 6.x

Component: Dollar Universe Application Server (Node)

Environment: Unix/Linux



In order to find who/what command was launching such commands, we decided to stop the Launcher of the Node before the time the errors would appear, to discard any relation with the Tasks running on the node, as  a result it was proved that the errors would continue to appear and since they were generated every hour, the crontab of the users other than root ( as the crontab for root had no script running every hour) was checked and it was finally found a user crontab script that launched these commands.

The authentication errors were caused by a user crontab script that launched sudo and invoked some Dollar Universe commands from an old Dollar Universe version installation on a different folder that had not been deleted when replaced by the new one.


After commenting the line as shown below, the authentication errors were no longer produced.

We strongly suggest that Dollar Universe nodes are either upgraded or uninstalled before installing a new version on the same server to avoid such kind of issues.