The customer reported the following use case:
1. We had scheduled a reboot job within ITMS for the end users' system, it succeeded for a few systems; however, it failed on a few of them.
2. The pop-up seems to reoccur on systems even after a system reboot; even after we deleted that job from ITMS as well.
Below is a pop-up of what users are getting on their system from the ITMS tool.
Even if the user click’s on “Start Task” and reboots their system, the pop-up re-occurs after some time.
How we can flush the running or pending jobs within the end-user's system. Currently, no job has been scheduled through ITMS.
ITMS 8.5 RU4
Based on what we know so far, the only way that the popup re-occurs on the end user system after the reboot is when the task is still scheduled in the SMP Server.
CTA (Client Task Agent) picks up the task from the TS (task server), then reboot occurs, then CTA picks up the same task from the server agent and sees that the reboot has already occurred so it ends the task.
Our asumption is that task is still on the server somewhere. Knowing task GUID from the agent side you can see what is happening with this task on TS and SMP Server.
Make sure that reboot occurs again and again exactly from that scheduled Job (even if this job is deleted):
1. If the Customer is using ITMS 8.6 RU3 release, then there is a default report to check all scheduled tasks or jobs
2. There is a main dialog where all current jobs and tasks are shown.
3. In the Resource Manager of the affected client computer, we can check all scheduled/completed task instances
So, to troubleshoot this issue, please send the following from one of the problem computers:
a) Agent logs (under c:\programdata\symantec\symantec agent\logs) right after the pop-up appears so we can try to find the reboot job reference (please let us know the name of the job so we can take a look at the logs for it).