Dispatch archives reports to our VTS devices and we use ZARA as our tape management system. Recently, our Dispatch EXTRACT subtask has been abending with the following error messages:
IEF233D M 0803,509013,,DISPEXTR,DISPEXTR, 263
263 OR RESPOND TO IEF455D MESSAGE
ZRT00112E FILE SEQUENCE 233 WAS NOT FOUND ON THE VOLUME
ZRT00102I UNIT 0803 VOLUME 509013 JOB DISPEXTR DSN DISPATCH.ARCH.HLQ.D22093.T093243.F01
ZRT00229I CODE PATH FLAGS: E0010000 B0010000 80700000 A000 SPECIAL PTFS: NNNNNNN
ZRT01C11E DUE TO ERRORS ENCOUNTERED, JOB DISPEXTR IS BEING TERMINATED, REASON=0023
IEC998I IFG019FV 0014 RETURN CODE INVALID, JOB IS ABENDED
ZRT01D10E CLOSE BYPASSED/NOT PROCESSED, OPEN NOT SEEN: VOL=509013, FSEQ=00233
DC980004 Task Arbgextr Abending
311 USER COMPLETION CODE=1369
311 TIME=03.17.41 SEQ=04605 CPU=0000 ASID=00A6
311 PSW AT TIME OF ERROR 077D1000 8000930C ILC 2 INTC 0D
311 ACTIVE MODULE ADDRESS=00000000_00008B68 OFFSET=000007A4
311 DATA AT PSW 00009306 - 00181610 0A0D4900 CAAA4780
$HASP395 DISPEXTR ENDED - ABEND=U1399
It was determined that the Dispatch archive tapes were being prematurely scratched by ZARA and as a result, were being written over by other applications.
Consequently, when the ARCHIVE tape gets mounted for the EXTRACT subtask, since it is no longer a Dispatch ARCHIVE tape, the EXTRACT subtask abends.
Release : 11.7
Component : Dispatch
** CA Dispatch does NOT have a direct interface with ZARA **
Here is how Dispatch works:
- The RETENTION that Dispatch will assign to an archive tape is dictated by the TAPE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM option that you specified at the bottom of the VSGMU210-Sysgen Archive Control Information Screen (Option 9.A from main menu).
Tape Management System ==> 0=None 2=Online TLMS 3=Batch CA-1
4=Batch TLMS 5=Batch RMM 9=98000
- For Dispatch Tape Management System options: 3, 4, 5 and 9, Dispatch assigns a "PERMANENT" retention to it's ARCHIVE tapes.
- You must then define the Dispatch programs that create and scratch the Dispatch ARCHIVE tapes to your tape management system as an external data manager (EDM).
- Dispatch tracks the retentions for all of it's reports. When the archive maintenance/cleanup job (DSEXTMIG or DSEXPSAR) run, and determines that all reports on a tape have expired, it will make a call to the appropriate tape management systems SCRATCH program, to tell it that the archive tape can be scratched.
* Because Dispatch does not provide an interface to ZARA, to resolve the problem you, will need to code a rule in ZARA that will prevent the Dispatch tapes from being scratched prematurely.
When defining this rule, keep the following in mind...
- The tapes retention should be at least as long as the longest retention for any archived Dispatch report.
- Dispatch will be deleting it's own database pointers for reports that have expired, however, because we do not interface with ZARA directly, Dispatch will never communicate to ZARA when it's OK to scratch a Dispatch archive tape.
For more information about Dispatch's Tape Management System interfaces, refer to "Chapter 2: Product Integration" in the Dispatch System Programmers guide.