ALERT: Some images may not load properly within the Knowledge Base Article. If you see a broken image, please right-click and select 'Open image in a new tab'. We apologize for this inconvenience.

SEPM Upgrade fails at 1% on Server Upgrade status

book

Article ID: 237180

calendar_today

Updated On:

Products

Endpoint Protection

Issue/Introduction

SEPM Upgrade from 14.x to 14.3 RU4

Upgrade fails during Server upgrade status when attempting to upgrade the Schema

Upgrade failed; check the details.

Warning: Installing Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager does not install

Cause

Upgrade.log
2022-03-09 12:25:54.665 THREAD 30 SEVERE: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The statistics 'RESERVED_BIGINT1' is dependent on column 'RESERVED_BIGINT1'.
2022-03-09 12:25:54.665 THREAD 30 SEVERE:  at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.makeFromDatabaseError(SQLServerException.java:262)
2022-03-09 12:25:54.665 THREAD 30 SEVERE:  at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.getNextResult(SQLServerStatement.java:1632)
2022-03-09 12:25:54.665 THREAD 30 SEVERE:  at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.doExecuteStatement(SQLServerStatement.java:872)

During the upgrade we clean up the database schema. We remove a number of reserved_type columns that have been present in some of the tables for a long time but were never used.

When the scripts to remove those columns runs, it gets into an error because one of those columns has a statistics item tied to it so it fails to delete it.  There should not be statistics elements tied to these columns and the SEPM does not create any. We need to find them and remove them.

Environment

Endpoint Protection Manager 

14.3 RU4 14.3.7388.4000

SQL Server 

Resolution

You need to have a DBA that could try and find this statistic and remove them.

The script that is run is this:

SQL Command:  BEGIN  DECLARE @sql_alter NVARCHAR(MAX)  DECLARE @name_schema VARCHAR(256)  DECLARE @name_table VARCHAR(256)  DECLARE @name_column VARCHAR(256)   DECLARE cursor_all_table_column CURSOR   FOR SELECT schema_name(tab.schema_id), tab.name, col.name   FROM sys.tables tab, SYS.columns col   WHERE tab.object_id = col.object_id and col.name like 'reserved_%'   ORDER BY tab.name, col.name   OPEN cursor_all_table_column;  FETCH NEXT FROM cursor_all_table_column INTO @name_schema,@name_table,@name_column   WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0   BEGIN    SELECT @sql_alter = 'ALTER TABLE ' + @name_schema + '.' + @name_table + ' DROP COLUMN ' + @name_column    EXEC SP_EXECUTESQL @sql_alter     FETCH NEXT FROM cursor_all_table_column INTO @name_schema,@name_table,@name_column    END   CLOSE cursor_all_table_column;   DEALLOCATE cursor_all_table_column; END

Once the statistic(s) on these columns are removed, running the upgrade.bat again should allow you to complete the database schema upgrade.

Attachments

1647530333292__pic.png get_app