Use this tool to test the connection to the SQL database
More information found on the Microsoft site:
Data Center Security Server 6.7 and newer
1. Right click anywhere in the desktop and select 'New > Text Document'
2. Change the extension from .txt to .udl
3. Double click to open the tool
4. In the Data Link Properties 'Connection' tab enter the SQL servers hostname or IP along with the Instance.
(For example, <SQL Server>\<Instance name>)
5. In the #2 box add the login credentials to the database. Could be the 'SA' account or equivalent.
6. In the #3 box select the dropdown and if the databases populate then the connection is successful.