There is an enhancement (US727881) to make the integration between TDM and IDMS more seamless. The TDM development team updated the File Definition Manager to recognize IDMS structures and automatically create the value dependencies .to the records.
The patch that includes this enhancement is "zOS-126.96.36.199.zip"
The IDMS ETL Solution works as follows when used with TDM for the data masking transform portion:
- Preparation Phase - Prepare your target database; determine your masking requirements; etc.
- Extract Phase - Run IDMS Extract Network Utility which will produce your data sequential file, a copybook, and load control file.
- Transform Phase - For TDM, you will use the File Definition Manager and Data Maker products from TDM (on your PC) to define your masking rules. Then you will perform the actual masking transformation using the mainframe batch utilities.
- NOTE. IDMS has provided sample JCL which includes TDM batch steps to help you get started.
- Load Phase - Run IDMS Load Network Utility with the masked data file and control file to populate target IDMS database
- Validation Phase - Testing and validation that all masking needs are met
The process is repeatable! If you aren't altering the data masking definitions, you can repeat/reuse the batch JCL to Extract, Transform, and Load whenever you need to refresh your test data!
Depending on the release of TDM that you are working with, you will need some additional patches, besides the File Definition Manager patch that I already gave you:
- If you are running a TDM 4,9,1 release, you also need a Datamaker patch: GTDataMaker-4.9.1027.0.zip or greater.
- If you are using a pre 4.9.1 release, then you need to upgrade your repository, by upgrading TDM Portal to the latest release TDMWeb-4.9.401.0 or greater.