We found on one of the host we managed.
Issue: From ENTM and DMS record, there are no policies deployed. While on the host itself, there are actually policies present.
Also, I saw a incorrect fqdn hostid created on ETNM record.
I redeployed the policies and point the endpoint's DH to the one with less pending messages but still no good.
Release : 14.1
Component : PRIVILEGED ACCESS MANAGEMENT
The /etc/hosts file had an extra m on the host name
example 220.127.116.11 hostname.domainname.comm
This gets picked up when the endpoint software starts so the name is them populated in the ENTM gui misspelled.
Client had to correct the hostname set in the /etc/hosts file so the node was registered properly after restarting the PAMSC Endpoint software (seload)