This article discusses how to enable additional debug logging in CA SAM.
Under most circumstances, if the SAM install's config.ini has "use_syslog" setting set to "true" one can view SAM/ASP logging by going into the Windows Event Logs and accessing the Application Logs.
This is an example of such a log entry:
Additional logging can be obtained by following the instructions in this KB article.
Release : 4.5
Component : CA SOFTWARE ASSET MANAGER
- Locate the config.ini, in the "C:\Program Files\CA\Sam\app\includes\prod\st" directory and back up this file to another location on the same server. (assumes SAM is installed in "C:\Program Files\CA\Sam" and the application tag is "prod").
- Edit the config.ini and change the line for "dump_error_log" to read as:
dump_error_log = "C:\\samlog\\out.dat"
- Additionally, change the line for "debug_log_level" to read as:
debug_log_level = info
- Save the config.ini file.
- Create a directory called "samlog" on the root of the C Drive. Creating the out.dat file can be omitted as the logging will create this file as needed.
Note: the C:\samlog directory is arbitrary. You may use a directory of your choosing, provided that there is sufficient permission for the SYSTEM user to have full access.
- Log out of SAM and recycle IIS.
- Log back into SAM and test the issue.
An "out.dat" file should be written to C:\samlog, which will contain additional logging for the problem being seen.