Creating a Dimension from a Data Class for IT Analytics.
Release: IT Analytics for IT Management Suite (ITMS) 8.5 and 8.6
In order to add (extend) a Dimension to a Cube in IT Analytics for ITMS, you need to use the IT Analytics Cube Extension Utility. As of this writing, use the IT Analytics Cube Extension Utility version 76.
In this document, we want to create a custom Dimension called "Comment" as a part of the IT Analytics "Computers" cube. In this case there is a non-custom Data Class called "Comment".
The IT Analytics Cube Extension Utility allows data classes defined in the Symantec CMDB to be added as custom dimensions to the cubes available from the IT Analytics Client Server Management pack. To begin select an option from the left menu and this will launch a wizard stepping through the process. After a dimension has been added or removed it will be necessary to reprocess the cube for the changes to take effect.
This utility must be run on the machine hosting the Symantec Management Platform. Additionally the user running the utility must meet the following requirements:
• member of the local Administrators group on this machine
• db_owner role membership to the Symantec CMDB database
• administrator access to the IT Analytics Analysis Services database
• member of the Symantec Administrators role in the Symantec Management Platform
1. Download the 1620340483905_ITAnalyticsCubeExtensionUtility_v76.zip file from this article.
2. Copy the file to the Notification Server and unzip the file. There is only one file (ITAnalyticsCubeExtensionUtility.msi) to install the utility.
3. After installing, go to Start>Bay Dynamics and click on "Cube Extension Utility". You will see the following:
4. Click on the "Add Dimension" button (orange above). You will see the following:
5. Click on the down arrow (orange above) for the field called "Cube name", choose "Computers", and click "Next." You will see the following:
6. Click on the down arrow (orange above) for the field called "Data Class name", choose "Comment", and click "Next." You will see the following:
7, The "Dimension name" field should already be completed. Click "Next" and you will see the "Summary" page. Click "Next" again and the Dimension will be created. Click "Finish".
8. Launch the SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) and connect to the Analysis server (orange below). You will see the following:
9. In the left panel, Right-Click IT Analytics (blue above) and choose "Process". You will see the following:
10. Click "OK" to begin processing the cubes. When the cubes are finished, you will get a Status of "Process succeeded" (orange below). Click on "Close" (yellow below).
11. Now open the ITMS Management Console. Go to Reports>All Reports>IT Analytics>Cubes>Computers. You will see the following:
12. You will now see "Comment" listed in the "Field List" in the right panel.